Friday, May 4, 2012

Two and a Half for Doug and Some Dinos

I was running for three great individuals this morning. One was a human named Doug. The other two were dinosaurs, Francois and Pierre. I met Doug right when I moved to Boston and he came to my housewarming party in Brighton. He really liked my Guinness hat, and I really liked that he liked my Guinness hat. 
It's a great hat.
Although Doug lived in the far-off land of Somerville, he had a weekend job right up the road from me, so sometimes I would visit him there. Once I brought him Thai food. I also put a Smirnoff Ice in the bag, thus icing him. It was awesome. He got me back about a year later on Easter. 

Mostly due to Doug's efforts, I now live in Somerville too. One magical evening, he took me around to some of his favorite haunts. He had me at Sligo. (That was supposed to be like "You had me at hello," but it's hard to do that impression without actually saying it out loud.) Doug and I both have a special place in our hearts for dive bars. Also for bacon. 
Yup.
We also have matching turtle shirts from woot.com. That wasn't planned, I got a mystery shirt and this is what I got.
FYI: it looks equally good on both of us, and when we both wear it, all of Somerville goes into esctasy 
So that's Doug and me in a nutshell. And now the dino-donors.

Many of you have met Francois. I found him in the Longfellow House when my family and I stayed there in the Summer of 2010. It was raining, I was bored, so I started taking pictures of him doing everyday things, such as:
Nomming on funny cake and ice cream
Playing cards
Brushing his teeth
He even made it into our family Christmas card. Naturally, I adopted him, and he frequently goes to family gatherings, bar crawls, marathons, and cultural events like the Somerville Fluff Festival:
Here he is with the Pharaoh of Fluff and Hi-Jinx Mistress
And yes, he will be coming to Africa. He's a bit nervous because he hasn't had his shots. But I think he'll be ok.

And finally, Pierre. Pierre was discovered on my kitchen table one morning with a note saying he was seeking refuge and believed my abode to be a safe haven. This is true. He had come all the way from Doug's homeland of Maine. And he and Francois hit it off immediately. 
Instant BFFs
It does make Pierre a little uncomfortable when Francois eats other dinos though. 

So this morning I ran a lovely 2.5 for Doug and the dinos with Back on My Feet. It's still hovering around the 50s and cloudy up in Boston right now, but I'm hoping to get some sunny days in before I go. For part of it, we did a relay race, so for a half mile (split into two quarter miles) I ran as fast as I could run. I think I could outrun a T-Rex (they actually were probably quite slow), but probably not Doug. He's kinda speedy.

So thanks Doug and the dinos for the donation and for the great run! Francois and I will be missing our buds big time this summer, but hopefully we'll return with some great pics of Francois on safari! Or perhaps the beaches of Zanzibar!

ROAR!
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment