Thursday, May 17, 2012

How Long am I Gonna Run for BOMF Team Somerville? FOREVER!

I have, hands down, the greatest running group of all time. Back on My Feet Boston's Team Somerville launched on March 14, 2011. That's right, Pi Day. So we were clearly destined for greatness. Now, add to that fact that we are incredible athletes, very friendly, and the most attractive group of runners you will see congregating in Somerville at 5:45am. Or anywhere at anytime for that matter.
Case in point
I already miss everyone terribly, and I've only missed 2 runs so far. (3 by the time anyone reads this probably.) When I tell people that I gladly wake up before the sun to go running 3 days a week, I typically receive quizzical looks. Being a full time student, I can pretty much go running whenever I want. Instead of sub-zero weather, I could theoretically wait until the temperature peaks to a whopping 15 degrees or so in the dead of winter. But then I wouldn't get to see these beautiful people!
Sometimes we wear hats
Also, I'd be running alone, and that is not nearly as much fun. With Team Somerville, I get great conversation, some fabulous puns, and the occasional song (often by Lady Gaga) while logging some serious miles. I've been lucky enough to get to know everyone pretty well, especially with our question of the day. For example, I know what super power most of these people would want, their favorite ice cream, and what their childhood nicknames were. But you also get to know each other really well - you're pretty much bound to open up to each other when you are out on a long run. 

So today, I ran 2 miles for Team Somerville. Okay, I ran something like 3.4 miles, because I did a weird loop. And anyone on my team can tell you this is a huge deal for me. A few weeks ago, our question of the day was "Do you have any weird superstitions or habits?" And mine is that I have to run race distances. I'll do 3.1 (5K), 5 miles, 6.2 (10K). I'll allow 8 miles (it's too big of a jump to 10). And then, obviously 10 miles. And on rare occasions 12, because you might as do 13.1 (a half-marathon) once you hit that point. My team understand my issue (or at least pretends to). Most people think I'm crazy. I chalk it up to: what do you get when you cross a runner with a math major?
Well I think I found my future husband...
Over the past year, and especially since my sleep cycle has been completely thrown off, the team as put up with a lot of odd behavior and statements from me. Lately, I have been showing up on minimal sleep, rambling semi-coherently, and laughing hysterically and things that are only remotely amusing. I was going to add in "leading them into on-coming traffic and getting them lost." But I do that regardless of my level of sleep. So far, we haven't lost a single member to a traffic accident or navigation issues on our runs. 
Look how attractive... maybe extra attractive because I'm absent...
So Team Somerville, I ran for you guys today, and I'll be running for you guys in Tanzania too. I miss all of you already and I can't wait to see your bright smiling faces at circle in August!

Who are we? Back on My Feet!
Who are we? Back on My Feet!
How long are we gonna run? 
FOREVER!

Love you guys!
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment