Monday, April 30, 2012

2 Miles and a Song, Brought to You by Mickey!

I believe it was in our freshman theology class that Mickey and I declared that were are PFFs. What is a PFF, you ask? That would be a "primary friend forever," which is obviously one tier below BFF. So now, more than 10 years later, we are still primary friends, because we don't go all willy-nilly into this, and forever is forever, so there. Our friendship initially stemmed out of our good fortune of having many of the same classes and tending to end up sitting next to each other in the alphabetical order assigned seating typical of the LC classrooms. Often we would pass notes to each other with very important contents such as the starting lineup for the Phillies, Dikembe Mutombo's full name and the lyrics to "King of New York" from Newsies.

Yup, that just happened. And if you say you didn't just enjoy watching that, you are a liar or you need to re-evaluate your life. Christian Bale and Bill Pullman singing and dancing? How can you not love it?

Mickey ran cross country in high school, which at that point was a foreign concept to me. Little did I know I would end up running around like a nut all these years later. He also played guitar and made up songs. I have a few Mickey originals in my possession, such as "Bubble Wrap," and once he wrote on about me. Anyone who stole music from me while in college just might be lucky enough to have heard the greatest song ever made "Natalie." It's still on my iPod, and I listened to it during my two mile run today. The lyrics go a little something like this:

"Natalie
Just saying her name makes me have to pee
But I go to the bathroom happily
Because it's Natalie"

(Mickey then plays the guitar for a while and makes some bass-line sounding noises so he sounds less like a one man band. Also you can hear him getting get in instant message over AIM at one point.)

"Natalie
She had to wash her dog because he rolled in crap-a-lie"

This is a true story. I was talking to Mickey online that day when he told me he was going to record and send me a song, and I said something along the lines of "brb my dog just rolled in crap and my mom is yelling at me to come help clean him up." This is especially great, because now Spottie is immortalized in song too.

All clean! And looking dapper!
So today, I ran 2 miles for Mickey. It's pretty cold out, which I'm not pleased about, but it was still enjoyable. Some of it was with Back on My Feet, and sans music. But after we split off I listened to his request, and to "Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5, because it refers to Mick Jagger, and I figured that's kind of like Mickey, and he has sweet moves.
This is exactly what Mickey looked like at the prom.
I haven't seen Mickey in a very long time (this seems to be a running theme with my amazing sponsors...), but hopefully in my time home before going to Tanzania or after I come back we can change that! If not, my door is always open for my PFF in Boston!

Natalie

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this! Now thats its 2012 a dance/electronic remix is in the works. Thanks NATALIE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it!!!! Can't wait for the remix!

      Delete