Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Backwards Mile with Bob Dylan for BHP

Today I did a very special run for Andrew, aka Blonde Harry Potter (BHP for short). I knew I was in something great when I received a facebook message from the day he donated saying "I'll come up with something specific for you to do soon." BHP likes to do crazy things like bike across the country. No joke. He biked from the Atlantic to the Pacific in the summer after graduation.
All credits to BHP for this picture... I hope he doesn't mine that I nabbed it off of facebook!
He was also in the ND Juggling Club. And on the crew team. And is now in med school. He's pretty much good at everything, and is an incredibly nice guy to boot! We met in the ND Dublin program as well, so that just adds to how cool he is.

Anyways, given his track record of doing kind of odd things, while I did not anticipate his exact task, it did not surprise me much. So today, for BHP, I ran a mile. Backwards. Listening to Bob Dylan. Because Katie was still in town, I had someone to document it! Also I had someone to lend me an iPod with Bob Dylan on it... Sorry, BHP... I don't actually have any Dylan. I know. Pathetic. And she lent me some cool shades too, which I hope BHP appreciates.


Pretty much twins.
So my playlist consisted of "Like A Rolling Stone" and "Mr. Tambourine Man" ... and another song I didn't know. Again. I know. Pathetic. I surprisingly only got through 3 songs, which just goes to show you how long Bob Dylan songs are. It took me about 15 minutes to do a mile.

But what wasn't pathetic was that I ran around the softball field next to my house about ten times while Katie (and another guy who was doing sprints and stuff there) watched. I almost fell once, but managed to stay upright.

I've read that running backwards is actually good for cross-training and recovery! So this was an excellent chance to try it out. Unfortunately, my lack of self-control got the best of me, and I later ran 2 miles forward, so now my quads hurt more than before. But maybe I'll try it again sometime. Although, I'd need someone to videotape it, because I somehow felt like less of a weirdo with this girl present.

She sort of accidentally took this picture when my iPhone switched to facetime.
So thanks BHP for the donation, and a really interesting and fun run! I'm sure you are doing well in med school, and I know you are going to be a great doctor some day with your highly functional brain, and your big heart (figuratively speaking), and your great attitude!

Hopefully we can see each other soon!

Natalie/Fat Cat

2 comments:

  1. You should have listened to "The Mighty Quinn"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! You are right! Such a good one!

      Hindsight is 20/20 though. Which I guess means foresight in this case, since I was running backwards? Either way, I think I'll listen to that one today :)

      Delete